At Butt Miller we are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. We will only use your personal information to deliver the services you have requested from us, and to meet our legal responsibilities.
What is the purpose of this notice?
To describe how we collect and use personal data about you in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
How we collect information from you
We obtain information about you when you engage us to deliver our services and/or when you use our website, for example, when you contact us about our services.
What we need
The personal data we collect from you will vary according to which services you engage us to deliver. This information may include your name, address, e-mail address, IP address, telephone number, Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), National Insurance number and bank account details.
Why we need it
We need to know your basic personal data in order to fulfil the services you engage us to deliver. We will not collect any personal data from you we do not need to provide and oversee this service to you.
What we do with it
In general terms, and depending on which services you engage us to deliver, as part of providing our agreed services we may use your information to:
- Contact you by post, e-mail or telephone
- Verify your identity where this is required
- Understand your needs and how they may be met
- Maintain our records in accordance with applicable legal and regulatory obligations
- Process financial transactions
- Prevent and detect crime, fraud or corruption
In any event, we shall only use your information for the purpose or purposes it was collected for (or for closely related purposes).
We may process personal information for certain legitimate business purposes, which include some or all of the following:
- where the processing enables us to enhance, modify, personalise or otherwise improve our services/communications for the benefit of our clients
- to enhance the security of our network and information systems
- to better understand how people interact with our websites
- to provide postal communications which we think will be of interest to you
- to determine the effectiveness of promotional campaigns and advertising.
Whenever we process data for these purposes we will ensure that we always keep your personal data rights in high regard and take account of these rights at all times.
When we process your personal data for our legitimate interests, we will make sure that we consider and balance any potential impact on you (both positive and negative), and your rights under data protection laws. Our legitimate business interests do not automatically override your interests – we will not use your personal data for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to by law). You have the right to object to this processing if you wish, and if you wish to do so please contact us as below. Please bear in mind that if you object this may affect our ability to carry out tasks above for your benefit.
Where we keep it
We are based in the UK and we store our data within the EU. Some organisations which provide services to us may transfer personal data outside of the EU, but we will only allow them to do if your data is adequately protected.
How long we keep it
We are required by legislation, other regulatory requirements and our insurers to retain your data where we have ceased to act for you. The period of retention required varies with the applicable legislation but is typically six years. To ensure compliance with all such requirements it is the policy of the firm to retain all data for a period in excess of this from the date we cease to act.
What we would also like to do with it
We would, however, like to use your name and e-mail address to inform you of our future offers and similar services, details of changes in legal and regulatory requirements or other developments that may be relevant to your affairs and, where applicable, how we may assist you further. This information is not shared with third parties. If you do not wish to receive such information from us, please let us know by contacting us as indicated under “contact information”.
What are your rights?
We want to ensure that you remain in control of your personal data. Part of this is making sure you understand your legal rights, which are as follows:
- the right to confirmation as to whether we have your personal data and, if we do, to obtain a copy of the personal information we hold (this is known as a data subject access request)
- the right to have your data erased (though this will not apply where it is necessary for us to continue to use the data for a lawful reason)
- the right to have inaccurate data rectified
- the right to object to your data being used for marketing or profiling; and
- where technically feasible, you have the right to personal data you have provided to us which we process automatically based on your consent or the performance of a contract. This information will be provided in a common electronic format.
Please keep in mind that there are exceptions to the rights above and, though we will always try to respond to your satisfaction, there may be situations where we are unable to do so.
Contact Information and Complaints
If you wish to raise a complaint on how we have handled your personal data, you can contact our Data Protection Officer who will investigate the matter:
Data Protection Officer
Butt Miller Limited
92 Park Street
Telephone – 01276 25542
E-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are not satisfied with our response or believe we are processing your personal data not in accordance with the law you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office, the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Telephone – 0303 123 1113 or 01625 545745